The Small Space Marketplace

List Your Space

Find Space

Home About Us Executive Subscriber Membership RENTV Conferences Newsletter Contact Us Advertise
August 4, 2020
 Search RENTV
   Go!
 Video Programs
 News
News Home Page
Southern California
Northern California
Pacific Northwest
Texas/Southwest
Retail
Multifamily
Financing
Prop. Management
Archives
Press Releases
 R. E. Marketplace
Service Providers
JobWorks
Property Spotlight
 RENTV  Conferences
Subscriber Login:
  
Email      
    Go!
Password      
Forgot Password?



WHAT'S NEW
Printer-friendly Version   Email an Associate
Evolution of Online Retail Drives Retail-to-Industrial Conversion Projects Across the U.S.

7/29/20

This report was provided by real estate services firm CBRE

A new CBRE report finds that 13.8 msf of retail space has been converted to 15.5 msf of industrial space across the country since 2017. As ecommerce continues to expand and industrial rents reach new all-time highs, this activity will likely increase in the coming years.

The new survey shows 59 retail-to-industrial conversion projects that have been completed, proposed or underway since 2017. This is a marked increase from the previous survey in January of 2019, which counted 24. Of the 59 projects currently tracked, 40 of them, or 67.8%, are conversions or adaptive reuse. The remaining 19 projects (32.2%) are properties that were demolished for new construction.

“As online retail evolves and expands, many retailers and developers will find opportunities to convert underperforming stores into final-mile distribution sites to support ecommerce operations,” said John Morris, Americas Industrial & Logistics and Retail Leader for CBRE. “With rising industrial rents and changing consumer patterns, we should see this activity continue to grow, as more retail sites will be economically viable for these types of conversions.”

The most recent survey indicated the top five markets for these conversion projects include: Milwaukee, Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha and Dallas/Ft. Worth, making up one-third of the total number of projects nationally. This is primarily due to the volume of “dead malls” that plague the Midwest. However, as the retail market continues to evolve, this type of activity should increase in most U.S. regions, according to the report.




Return to the previous page


 


 


 


 
 



Home | About Us | Newsletter | Contact Us | Executive Subscriber Membership | Executive Subscriber Home | Advertise
Southern California | Northern California | Pacific Northwest | Southwest | Retail | Multifamily | Financing | Property Management
Archives | Press Releases | Service Providers | JobWorks | Property Listings

Copyright © 2020 by RENTV, All Rights Reserved
Website designed by Regency Web Services, Inc. and powered by Lightning Media